God, in the gospel of his Son,
Makes his eternal counsels known;
Where love in all its glory shines,
And truth is drawn in fairest lines.
Here sinners of a humble frame
May taste his grace, and learn his Name;
May read, in characters of blood,
The wisdom, pow’r, and grace of God.
The pris’ner here may break his chains;
The weary rest from all his pains;
The captive feel his bondage cease;
The mourner find the way of peace.
Here faith reveals to mortal eyes
A brighter world beyond the skies;
Here shines the light which guides our way
From earth to realms of endless day.
O grant us grace, Almighty Lord,
To read and mark thy holy Word;
Its truths with meekness to receive,
And by its holy precepts live.
—Verses 1 & 2, Benjamin Beddome, verses 3-5, Thomas Cotterill.
I couldn’t find anything with the original tune for this hymn to embed, but you can listen here. In the video below, the hymn is updated with a new tune and new words for verses 4 and 5.
Other hymns, worship songs, prayers, sermons excerpts, or quotes posted today:
- A Shelter in the Time of Storm at Theology for Girls
- Opening Hymn at The Happy Wonderer
- Lovest thou me? at The Upward Call
- The Groan of Life at Tried With Fire
- Invigorate My Love from Trevin Wax
- What is our greatest need? at Blogging Theologically
- Your weekly dose of Spurgeon: Make your calling and election sure at Pyromaniacs
Have you posted a hymn (or sermon, sermon notes, prayer, etc.) today and I missed it? Let me know by leaving a link in the comments or by contacting me using the contact form linked above, and I’ll add your post to the list.